Wednesday, December 22, 2010

20+ days and counting

Time flies... Megan and my confinement is almost nearing one full month.

No. That statement is half an outright lie. It is 20 plus days and counting but time does not fly. In fact, time has never trickled so slowly in my life.

If every minute of my everyday recurs an infinite number of times, it is a horrifying prospect. And confinement does feel like that with its relentlessness crushing me down, drowning me till I cannot breath. I cannot see the end or most likely I may not make it till salvation comes.

Alright. Above will be how this blog will sound if I were to write this blog during the thick of my confinement but I am actually writing this after the worst is over and feeling quite positive, I cant quite get back to that depressive mood for blogging. DAMN! Not that I wish for a return to one of the most difficult times of my life as it was an emotionally roller coaster ride with few highs but many a times running off rail and crashed into the tree nearby. I simply seek to record the times in its essence.

Friends who have not given birth before always envy the four months mat leave, imaging me flipping magazine and eating chocolates while holding Megan to one breast. Yah rite Buddies! People expect a happy glowing mother and no one talks about the dark side of this responsibility. Only when I probe did most of my galfriends feel resentment.

Now now now... Lets me recall my top 5 confinement lows:

1. Confinement literally
Stuck within a space of 1200sft facing four walls when I am so used to travelling and backpacking is my number one killer. My only window out of this tiny world is the TV which is not showing my fav Air Crash Investigation. Plus there is only this many times one can watch the re-run of House or read how Hatsumomo tried to snub Sayuri. No social interaction damaged my brain cells so much I must have died from boredom over and over again.

2. Breastfeeding
Enough said

3. Unsolicited well meaning advices
Extremely stressful and one is in not much position to brush them off. When the wife is stressed, she gives it to the husband.

4. Confinement Food
Pork, liver, kidney, pancreas, stomach, ginger, soup, fish, apple, wolfbery, red date tea plus funny chicken all cooked with sesame oil (dunno why) repeated in approx 200 dishes over 30 days.

5. Fatigue
No need to explain how lack of sleep further damages brain cells and make me cranky.

Aiyah, I dont like a blog without photos so lets jump straight into the picture gallery!

Looking after a baby is hectic work.
There are of course happy moments. I wont go to the extend to say that a smile from Megan makes everything worth it but Luckily Megan is a sweet baby.


When Megan is wide awake and wants to play, she is quite fun.

Megan getting excited and stretching her lotus root limbs, which is like all the time...Look! Long torso, short legs!
Megan showing off her long tongue. Oh did I mention that the fortune master at KK said that Megan's future career is ideally a judge or a lawyer. Gee... looks like I have been watching too much three kingdom n hanging out with the legal lane people too much during my pregnancy.


The many ways which Megan can sleep - even with her arms frozen in midair.

Megan when she is tired and frowning and I had to wrap her up. I finally understand the true meaning of "a bundle of joy". It literally means that when babies are bundled up and cant move their limbs, limiting their crankiness, they can indeed be quite a joy.

No comments: