Thursday, July 26, 2012

Spain - Best Food List

Somehow our Barcelona trip moth into a food centric trip...

OK what were you expecting? I am there with fatty Ken so regardless of how culturally driven I plan for us to dive into the Gaudi and Miro arti farti world, the mightier forces of the husband and our stomachs prevail!!! We no longer plan our METRO routes based on must-sees, but a focused  reservations of key MUST-EAT venues. In between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, we will, well... see how much time we have to check out what's nearby.

BEST LITE BITES
Winner - A Spoon of Tomato, NU
First thing first - Ken insisted to take over the whole food section as a guest blogger.... Raved about how he will introduced the Best Food List the entire trip until I handed over the laptop and say "OK, start typing".... Then comes all kinds of reasonable reasons to conceal the fact that he chickened out. Swear to give me quotable quotes instead. Ha Ha. Hence I quote him on his number one winner of the Best Lite Bites - (in this case, its more of a slurp than a bite) Introducing a Spoon of Tomato!!!!

Yes indeed this is a spoon of tomato and its not a cherry tomato... I dunno what it is but the waitress introduced this as tomato and it certainly tasted like one. I don't know if this is delicious as it disappeared into my throat a bit too fast and I sort of missed it (totally). I toast Ken with white wine after slurp and he say he had to keep this taste in this mouth for as long as possible, so no thank you!! "So nice meh?", I asked. He replied, quote "It's better than sex", unquote.

1st Runner Up - Olives, Can Majo
A saucer of olives is served before every meal, like how they serve peanuts in Chinese restaurants. I don't usually eat olives, I thought they are deco for Martinis but this certainly looking pretty appetising so I tried one, the two, then three. OMG, nice, better than chinese peanuts.

2nd Runner Up - Mushroom Soup with Fresh Clams, Occi
This cuppa soup amounts to approx two spoonfuls and has three clams inside. Honestly I dunno how it taste because I don't eat clams so I passed over all the clams to Ken who ended up orgasing at the other end of the table...

Special Mention - Gourmet Salt, Gi and F
Guest Food Blogger demanded me to give special mention to this selection of 5 organic salts provided on the table of Gi and F. Supposed to sprinkler some of them to the olive oil and eat with warm bread. Gi and F also gave us with a very robust olive oil which is apparently the winner of the 2012 international olive oil award and according to guest blogger- is of an intensity and purity that is very hard to achieve. Wah....

BEST STARTER

Winner - Anchovy with Fish Roe, Raspberries and Avocado + at least 4 other chopped up food, topped with Coconut Mousse, Nu
A delightful explosion of flavors... I mean a very very very delightful explosion.

First Runner Up - Hand Carved Tuna Sashimi, Gi and F
Heavenly but portion is way to big, almost a main.

Second Runner Up - Grilled Asparagus on Molten Egg and Bamboo Clam, Occi
Ken's starter (why did he always order the better starter?). To me, this is my 2nd best starter, asparagus grilled perfectly and the combination of the half boiled egg york and bamboo clam is divine. Just to eat this dish, I will consider buying a ticket back to Spain.

Second Runner Up (2) - Iberian Ham on Melon, somewhere
The ham salty enough. The melon sweet enough... enough said.

Special Mention - Fresh Oysters, Can Majo
Basically the taste of the sea, so fresh that you can find a piece of fresh seaweed in the shell. Ken finished all six.
BEST MAIN

Winner (YY) - Black Sausage Ravioli in Pumpkin Soup , Nu
I hate ravioli but this is no ordinary ravioli. The skin is so thin and soft, like wanton skin and the meat inside taste like reconstructed 粽子(Chinese rice dumpling). A bit savory, a bit sweet, a bit too little...

Winner (Ken) - Sashimi Tuna on Curried Rice with a dash of Wasabi and light soy sauce, Nu
Best Best Best tuna we have eaten, this is Ken's all time winner and my number 2 choice. I am salivating as I recall and blog. Ken actually shed a single tear when he ate this.

Second Runner Up - Lobster Paella in Valencia Rice, Can Majo
Have never eaten nice lobsters in Asia. Either Asians do not know how to cook lobsters or we simply do not have tasty lobsters. First time in our lives, we tasted lobster so sweet and I swear, we did not let any bit of meat go to waste... We left behind shells so clean they make the chef proud. Pair the paella with a bottle of 11 euro Vina Sol and you are in heaven.

Third Runner Up - Spare Ribs with Cheese Polenta, Nu
Melts in your mouth, melts in your mouth, melts in your mouth!!! Definition of perfection.

Special Mention (1) - Prawns and Clams on Turbot Fish, Gi and F
Ken's main, TAMADE why he always order all the nice dishes?

Special Mention 2 - Meat Kebab
We woke up late, skipped breakfast and head directly to La Rambas... by the time we got there I was starving so I didn't really care where we eat, I just need food! So we popped into a restaurant just outside the metro exit and ordered meat kebab... What a wonderful surprise to find such succulent kebab! If I knew mutton tasted this good, I would have give up chicken...

Special Mention 3 - Seafood Paella, Can Majo
Can Majo... Please go and eat their Paella if you visit Barcelona!!!

BEST DESSERT

Vanilla Ice-Cream on Red Wine Cherries, Occi
Light and Refreshing. Best dessert I have ever eaten.

White Chocolate Mousse with Molten Egg, topped with honey coated Pistachio Nuts and Raspberry Sauce, Occi
OK, very strange combi... We swear that stuff below the white chocolate mousse is a molten egg but hey who can be sure on such experimental food? But gosh, so much distinct flavors in one mouthful, yet they blend into each other so well. 

No comments: