Sunday, October 12, 2014

7 things I learned in my last trimester


mummy, your tummy is getting bigger and bigger, like a cow!
 
As the image of me and Obelix begins to merge, I know the end is not far. Standing, walking, sitting, lying became all uncomfortable. Nose is stuck, breathing is labored, urine hard to control, pelvic strained to breaking point. Yes, the cannot-wait-to-get-baby-out sensation is all coming back to me.

#1 - Daddy is the best
Men being visual animals will start to react when the expanding tummy invades into their vision at every turn. Ken took on a larger role in the household, witnessed his space on the sofa and bed diminished and eventually rolled himself into the guest room bed when my pillows claimed total victory. 

More importantly, he became the main IC for Megan. From "mummy, mummy" a hundred times a day to "where's daddy, we are a team" - Ken successfully became the anchor for Megan and seeing them together melts my heart big time…


#2 – Online shopping is amazingly addictive
Spending a lot more time lying down = gobbling up data on my Samsung. Blame it on Jasmine and Xianger for introducing qoo10 to me when I am at my most physically and mentally fragile state. OMG am I a late comer to online shopping… 


#3 – Commit to the plan
Megan too has also been infected with the consumerism bug. And that spells trouble because her mom is one of those misers whose entire wardrobe can fit into a suitcase with room to spare so what can she be wanting to buy?

To be fair, she just wanted a rainbow umbrella. Which is well ok... But just in case she decided to make it a habit of asking for more, I immediately introduced THE SCORE CHART. You have to earn 10 stars before I will buy you that umbrella. Nothing is free in this world my gal and no, that innocent plea in your sweet 3 year old voice is not getting you anywhere! Boo Boo.



Also seriously, where the heck can I find a rainbow umbrella? I know I had to drag this out. Luckily, acquiring #2 online shopping skills proved extremely useful. Her stars did not come easy (coz I ran out of ideas what she needed to achieve after a while). It took her a month before I presented to her hard earned umbrella (as well as my first ever online purchase – of questionable quality) She loved the crappy thing with all her heart. She earned it, she told everyone she met. 
 
Fret not my sweetie pie! Whatever you want, daddy will get it for you!!

 
As predicted, her second demand came – pink goggles so she can swim underwater with eyes open. Super hero Ken flew to grab the goggles immediately! Makes sense since he is the one swimming with her every week so I can't say the goggles is not an essential item. BUT there are only 2 stars in the goggles section!!! So undignified and angry recieving this undeserved goggles that Megan cried and demanded daddy to keep the goggles until she earned all 10 stars! Pat on my back and hers, I trained her well… Daddy, commit to the plan!


Or else Megan will "headache again"

#4 – Primary One Chinese
I love listening to mums (sometimes dads) with older kids talk about their experience, especially now that number 2 is coming soon. Natalie advised to put Megan in drama classes before the 2nd one pop to avoid Megan thinking that I dumped her there because I wanted her out of the way. Ming taught me how to teach kids to express emotions in logical sentences. Jeff repeated non stop on how You-tube has influenced the young and why they will not listen to us. Melissa is more direct, showed me Cameron’s primary 1 Chinese spelling and assessment books.

Lump in my throat for the last one… Though Megan is not even 4 so primary one is far far away, but you know how type A personality tend to over-react. 





And while I am sticking Chinese words around the house, I also gave my old name cards a new lease of life.

#5 – F1
F1 is cool but I know nothing about cars and nay, not interested. 

Twist of fate, I became involved in this year’s Paddock suite. The whole event and logistics has been an eye opener and I wished I can be more invested because even with buggies and cars driving me around to lessen the gravity drag on my tummy, I cannot contribute much. If I have the chance, I will do more next time. 

#6 – You cannot use old stamps to mail new letters
Megan suddenly decided to write letters to her favorite people. Except the names of “Po Po, Ah Gong, Ah Ma” and her own name, generally her letters are illegible, packed with hearts and abstract art.
second batch all use 65cents stamp. enough? 

Strangely no one gets her letters. My mum asked me what stamps she used; I said, “Those left over from my wedding invites 5+ years ago”…

“Did you know that the value of the stamp then and now are different?” roll eye ball…. That was a revolutionary thought that never crossed my mind!


#7 – This is the best time of my life
Let’s be frank and admit that both spouses flying constantly is not going to work regardless of how romantic or successful the story may sound. I loved my job, travels, hotels, lifestyle, money.

What the heck, now cut everything by half and I am even happier where I am now.

I want a cherry tree on top of my house so I can eat cherries everyday.
I can only stand in the middle of the rainbow because there is no space anymore.

No comments: