Monday, November 22, 2010

The Final Lap and the Big Day


Megan remains beech so a Cesarean date was scheduled - 18th Nov 2010. I am unsure if I was disappointed or relief at the news but with such certainty of a day and time, I feel a reassurance and control which I have not felt before. one point for C sec.
The last few days leading up to 18th was bad. Developed flu, cough and slight fever. To add insult to this new development, I started some dumb homonal changes and broke out in severe rashes... itching like there was no tomorow. From a cool preggie, I degraded into some miserable irritable wretch who looks and feel diseased. This must be some low points in my life.
Never been through an operation before plus a super low pain treshold, I grew nervous and anxious as days closed in. An unscheduled re-check up on the 16th @KK calmed my nerves. My gyne was not available but what a detailed check the nurses n doc on duty gave me. This trip convinced me that KK is the best choice we could have ever made. Not that Mt E is no good, but KK is a true blue power house with countless professional and knowledgeable staff. My heart is at ease.
0630hrs of 18th, we brought a lot of barang to check in - Mac(internet!! a must), PSP, games (Love the new Patapon game for me! PATA PATA PATA PON!!! PON PON PATA PON!!! FEVER!!!), books, clothes, nice toiletries.... u got to be asking - what were we thinking!?? Sorry first time... They may not be relevant to the situation but the effort and heart that goes into building up the excitment of going for an adventure camp calm stray nerves and make the hospital stay mentally very enticing.
Like all good hotels, we checked directly into our Ward 81, Bed 25... which is also furnished like a hotel room (37 inch LCD TV, minibar, wardrobe, safe etc). Congregations of day and night shift midwifes and nurses came to introduce themselves and prepare/ brief me on what is to come while he was taken to another room to change into surgery gown to witness the event. Lets say, service and staff to guest ratio is in the five star range. I feel good already.
In the operation theatre, I was prepared to freak out during epidural injection but surprisingly it is painless. Naked and numb from chest down, they blocked my view to where the action will take place. Kinda surreal when a young medical intern appeared from nowhere saying "hi. how are u feeling.." to me. He like me must be the most awarkard pple in the room with nothing to do. Difference is I am a paralysed slab on the table and he keeps hovering in/out of my view. "Hi, u ok? ... Hi.." He must have greeted me like these a few times.
It was only after a nurse exclaimed " shouldn't someone bring the husband in?" did poor Ken get to arrive at the scene. He later admited he felt service to him was quite unVIP. Honestly with all decked out in face masks green suites and me without glasses, I cant see really make out which is Ken. Hovering intern can jolly well be ken - also wearing glasses. I was just beginning to do my mental preparation for the slice when suddenly everyone started congratulating me, starting from THE intern of coz. "I can see Megan now" was what I heard from man on the left- apparently my husband. Wow, it was over before I knew it started! Wow... how much did I pay for these few seconds? Literally few seconds! ok ard 2 mins... painless 2 minutes...
Megan was brought to me while the sewing action continues below. One look at her and I am in love... SSSSSSSSOOO good looking! Allow me to somewhat elaborate on this stunning realisation. There is me and there is Ken. So where did all these good looks on Megan come from? Wow... Really, Megan's good looks was quite a revelation!
ok, back to the moment - I was expecting a bluish green infant with a winkled pent up face, knotted forehead and tightly closed eyes letting out the "gek for 10 months" first cry/scream/wail... come on, in reality, who says newborns jus out of the womb are a sweet sight to behold? Most of my friends needed weeks to months before they develop love for their initally "ugly" babys.
But Megan is clean, pink, calm and super alert with big earnest eyes! Cleft is minimium. Actually what cleft? hardly notice anything.. forgive me if I indulge in my praise of my Megan (I mean now and numerous times later in this and future blogs). I wonder if Megan is truly this much prettier than all other babies we know of or we have simply succomb to the "my baby is SSSOOO cute" symdrome. We know what you are thinking - yes she is indeed the prettiest, thank you v much...
Megan was automatically taken to ICU due to cleft and did not follow us to the ward. Ken filled me in with all the baby details, photos, videos. By late afternoon, ICU basically sent Megan back, quoting that she is more than doing fine and does not require any intensive care. Cool! This story is getting better and better!
On my side, I was bracing up for the epidural to wear off. 2 hrs. 6 hrs, 8 hrs.... still no pain settling in. WOW. Scheduled to take solid food only on the second day but nurses tot otherwise. So I was eating, drinking, chatting, playing with baby and getting bored from not enough action on Day One. My in laws were most concerned and busied themselves with brewing red date tea and fish bone soup for me. SKII miracle water for rosy cheeks? No need.
We were too hyper to sleep that nite... wrong move because KK strongly recommended Megan to room in with us on the second day and nite so that we can be familiarised with looking after her. The smiling nurses are only a button press away anyway. "You must try", they say. We bought into their sales pitch and life literally changed 180 degrees from that point onwards.

No comments: