Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Makings of the Animal Chart

He pointed to the blank wall in Megan's room and said "will look great if we hang a colrful alphabet chart there..." Sure my love, looks to be Project Number Two for YY!! I will do an animal alphabet chart for Megan. Better than anything the shop sells... First, draw out the animals! Then take the drawings to people who actually knows how to sew felt toys since I have never done these stuff before. Rumour has it that Jess knows... Soon, everyone along Legal Lane got involved... One great thing about girlfriends is that they can all get excited with you on craft projects... Suddenly Project Two becomes very exciting.
First question everyone asked is if I drew these animals myself. The answer is Yes. Are the designs all original? Yes and No. I researched online on the images of the animals to check out what is the most distinct and easy to draw profile. Then I will sketch out a few possible profiles in the actual scale of the stuffed toy to gauge cuteness and if they will be easy to cut and sew. Galfriends choose their most preferred sketch and those usually will be the chosen one. 
With 26 alphabets and many gals, it can get very confusing. Dolly rooted on Penguin and Jess wanted Panda. Cindy suggested Vixen while Dolly prefers Veal (once an animal too u know). No one likes Iguana and since they are all IJ gals, they demanded IJ gal!!! *faint* But we really have fun, I must say...
Sometimes, inspiration comes from toys in my room! Was cutting the felt for my zebra when I saw the wooden zebra toy Ming gave me sitting on my shelf. So much cuter than my original. Mai tu liao. COPY. Trace on butter paper, tag onto 2 pieces of felt, cut and sew. Excuse me, all the stripes are sewn on, not glued on ok! Add beads for eyes, wool for hair, stuff the body with foam and TADA!!! One animal is completed... 25 more to go!!! On a free day, I can make approx 5 stuffed toys... animals like Giraffee or Zebra with too much details will take much longer.
With all the animals completed... within 2 weeks! Great job YY!!... now comes the second part - doing the A-Z chart to house all the animals. The idea is for me to ask Megan during one of our play times - "Megan, where does Giraffe go?" And Megan will take the Giraffe and velcro it to R... "Good gal, now Whale??"...
We went to Spotlight to buy fabric for the A-Z and the fabric chart... Man, I hate that place... messy and confusing, why cant Spore open better craft shops (like Queen's street???). Why didnt I have a collection/ a secret stash of bits and pieces of fabric/ribbons/strings? Sigh...
Time to consult the guru for the actual A-Z chart construction. Instead of velcro, Mimi suggested animals returning back to their homes/ nests/ caves/kennels etc.... At different age, I can use the chart to teach Megan different aspects of the animals...wow! "Megan, which home does the Doggie go back to? Yes Kennel.. Lion? Cave.. Good Job..." Fantastic idea mum, my heart is with you... but time is running out since one more week I am popping... We simplify the chart construction and hey guys... that will be in the next blog... Wait and see!

No comments: